Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I survived it!

I did my first ever poetry reading today. I was so scared I was sure everyone in the audience could hear my knees knocking. I seriously considered not even going to Fiddlers today to do the reading but that would have meant I chickened out and I couldn't do that. So I went, and I read, and when I got off the stage my hands were shaking like a leaf, but....I Did It!!! My god what a rush that was! The audience even applauded my poems, something I never expected to happen. I was asked if my poems were here on the blog and I had to admit they weren't. It seems like such a logical course of action to put my stuff here, I'm embarrased to say I never thought about it. So, in order to rectify that, here are some of my poems. It's another way to store them I guess...this will be here long after this particular computer is gone. I guess I'll have to write some new ones, since I've read almost everything I have so far.



Merlin
Yellow eyes stare at me, commanding me to notice,
His body tense, every tendon waiting for the command to action.
Tail rigid, anticipation evident in its twitching from side to side.
I shift in my chair, his head snaps up.
The promised land awaits, if only you will go!
His sigh is heavy as he realizes his ploy has failed this time.
Yellow eyes stare at me, commanding me to notice.

Cat's Eyes
Cat's eyes, cat's sighs
kneading into my lap
Cat's purr, cat's fur
 internal smiles, felt and heard
Cat's stand, cat's demand
food dish never full enough
Cat's eyes, cat's sighs
five pounds of unconditional love
 
M118
I enter; uncertain, hesitant, a little afraid.
I sit waiting; butterflies have flocked to my belly.
Looking around, anxiety on the faces of others, mirrors my own,
hope and fear mingle into one.
All is ready, laid out in neat rows,
books, pencils, paper, calculator.
The tools of my trade until May, I am ready I hope.
Like an actor hitting his mark on cue,
he strides in, confidence radiating out to each one of us.
He smiles out to the sea of uncertain faces,
as if to say "Don't worry, we will succeed."

 Reflections
Reflections of a day filled with fear, images seared into my brain as if etched by acid.
What was once whole and strong became brittle and shattered.
The mirror of my self laying in shards upon the floor.
The pieces, jagged and sharp, cutting into my soul, leaving pieces of me in tatters.
The multitude of reflections show images best left forgotten
What was shattered cannot be made whole, but from the pieces new reflections give hope
In dreams, I live it, past and present mingle.
Wishing to banish the old reflections for the new
Anger flows freely, only damped by the denial that still springs to my lips.
Someday dreams will not bring fear.
Someday memories won’t produce jolts of pain.
Someday I’ll forgive him.
But not today.

 My Bill
I hadn't ever been lucky in love
Had in fact, given up on men
Then into my heart you flew like a dove
You came at first as only a good friend

You showed me I could once again care
Partners in love and partners in fun
Holding hands, together we took the dare
A hot summer's day, our new life had begun

Standing under a tree, we took our oath
Hand in hand we'll walk for the rest of our lives
Friends and family were there, watching us both
Love came fast, took us both by surprise

I love you now as I always will
You are my life, my love, you are my Bill

 Insomniac Tempest
Lying in bed, the night’s darkness surrounding me
Sleep, occasionally elusive, floats just out of my grasp
Occasional flashes and grumbles hint at the coming storm
Lightening streaks across the sky on forked legs
Thunder rumbles and growls like the warnings of a beast
To this strange melody, I drift at last into sleep
Lulled by the frenetic energy of the tempest

Puppy Love
Large brown eyes that are filled with love look up at me
Complete and total trust resides in those orbs of soft brown
Affection shows in each slurpy kiss he gives me
There is nothing quite like puppy love

No comments: